Preserving Delaware County's Heritage
Renovated farmhouses, a restored stone schoolhouse and a mural depicting historic moments in Llanerch Crossing Park’s history were all recognized by County Council as it presented the 2010 Historic Preservation Awards.
The Heritage Awards of the Delaware County Heritage Commission were presented for 10 projects and to one person during the May 4 public meeting of County Council.
The awards, presented for the 32nd consecutive year, were for the preservation and rehabilitation as well as interpretation of Delaware County’s landmarks and history.
Councilman Thomas J. McGarrigle joined Heritage Commission Chairman A. Richard Paul in making the presentations during the weekly County Council meeting after introducing a resolution declaring May to be Preservation Month.
The presentations included the 14th annual Leedom D. Morrison Heritage Award, named for the late Heritage Commission member who served as head of the Chester City Planning Commission before joining the staff of the County Planning Commission. He died in November 1996.
The Morrison Award was presented for “The George Raymond Papers” Exhibit to the Widener University Archives, which featured a historical exhibit inspired by the late George Raymond, a former President of the Chester Branch of the NAACP.
Four awards were presented for site preservation. Recipients were Art Sulzer and Elizabeth Gallagher for rehabilitation of a home on Peter Gamble Drive in Concord Township, which consists of several sections built between 1790 and 1966.
An award was presented to Dr. James Bonner for rehabilitation of the historic Blosinski Farmhouse in Edgmont Township, originally built in the 1840s, and to Jim Nappi for rehabilitation of a 19th century farmhouse on Saw Mill Road in Newtown Township.
The fourth site preservation award was presented to Cynthia Wein, head of the Walden School, for restoration of an early 20th century stone schoolhouse in Upper Providence Township.
Two awards for publications were presented for “Images of America-Sharon Hill,” a compilation of historic images illustrating the growth of Sharon Hill, accepted by Kathleen Clark and Jean Shiber, and for “Mt. Zion Methodist Meeting, Established in 1808,” the story of one of the first Methodist churches in America and its families, accepted by Lindy Constance Wardell, of Darby.
Three Awards were presented for Special Projects. The Haverford Township Historical Society was commended for its “Llanerch Crossing Park” project, which commemorates the “Battle of Llanerch Junction,” a standoff between the Pennsylvania Railroad and the West Chester Rail company in 1895.
Margaret Walker, of Thornbury Township, was honored for the “Doors of Historic Thornbury Township,” a poster that features architecturally and historically significant doorways of Thornbury.
Also honored as a Special Project was “The Most Notorious & Colorful Characters of Delaware County” lecture, a joint effort between Aston, Nether Providence and Rose Valley historical societies presented at Hedgerow Theater by historian Nancy Webster.
The Individual Achievement Award was presented to Jim Higgins for his vision, leadership and perseverance for the restoration of the Wayne Train Station in Radnor Township.